The former town of Flamborough is currently a community within the City of Hamilton, Ontario. Flamborough was amalgamated with Hamilton in 2001.
Prior to amalgamation, Flamborough was comprised of East Flamborough, West Flamborough, Beverly and the Village of Waterdown.
Waterdown is the largest suburban community of Flamborough. Other Flamborough communities include Carlisle, Christie’s Corners, Clappison’s Corners, Copetown, Freelton, Greensville, Lynden, Kirkwall, Millgrove, Mountsberg, Orkney, Rockton, Troy, Sheffield, Valens and Westover.
There is a long history of human occupation in the area. The Neutral Indians populated the area until they were annihilated by the Iroquois from the New York area.
The first Europeans to arrive were the French explorers LaSalle and Joliet who met near Westover in 1669.
United Empire Loyalists arrived after the American Revolution in 1783. About that time, East and West Flamborough as well as Beverly were surveyed and organized into townships.
The three aforementioned townships plus the Waterdown were founding constituents of Wentworth County in 1816.
Flamborough became a town in 1985. It was part of the Regional Government of Hamilton-Wentworth, which was supposed to preserve the rural and semi-urban character of Flamborough. However in 2001, the provincial government replace the Regional Government with the one-tier greater City of Hamilton.
Geographic and Natural Attractions:
Flamborough is located at the top of the Niagara Escarpment and the Bruce Trail passes through the area.
The Westfield Heritage Village preserves pioneer buildings and it is a wonderful place to visit for day trips.
Flamborough is home to Greater Toronto Area commuters, hobby farmers, and agricultural farms. There is easy access to highways 403, 401 and the QEW.